Milkman's thoughts


Inside Milkman’s Thoughts


Note: Temporarily moving away from modernism and looking through a different lens. 



I was one of high class and with extensive wealth. When I saw the seven days, I took no pity on them, but rather judged them based on their attitudes and on how they took on others and blame but themselves for their disadvantages. I saw them as losers, failures and scum, going around harming others, mainly due to themselves being hurt by the same society. They have a mentality of entitlement, that this society owes them, due to what they’ve been through.  Guitar is a man who never made his dream of playing a guitar.  Porter, is the town drunk (pretty self-explanatory). With nowhere else to go, no one to call friends, made a group to mainly rebel against the dominating force, the white people. I had plenty to do and people to enjoy. I really didn’t care about the whites injustice towards members of my own community. I viewed Guitar as a radicalized nuisance and a threat. The only reason the Seven Days exist was, evidently not due to their “love” of our community, but rather an attempt to elevate themselves and wanted to attain such success as I have, in a quick and easy manner without hard work, by force.  As my experiences helped me understand their struggles, I had sympathy for them, until when Guitar started trying to kill me.  My encounter with them cemented my philosophy of how the poor will always try to find a “cause to believe in”, hoping to be understood, accepted and welcomed. I will probably not associate myself with poor blacks and avoid them completely.  After all, I got beaten up for even just trying to start a conversation with them!

Comments

  1. I feel like this would be Milkman before he learned how to "fly", and it certainly makes sense in a way - why associate with poor, desperate people when life's fine as is? However, at the end of the book, I feel like Milkman would be different. He has more of an understanding of not only his family history, but also of the world and his identity. Perhaps he would be more open to thinking from other people's points of view and understanding why they choose to act the way they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the your approach of Milkman's perspective. This is like the sub-conscious version of his thoughts. The thoughts that he wouldn't necessarily tell Guitar or other people. This really shows how Milkman is closer to the white man than the African American man. It seems like the separation between African Americans and white people is centralized on racism along with wealth and because of that, Milkman's wealth pushes him to be closer to the white man.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You know what really grinds my Gears? Pt2

Ways to Remember